Cat Friendly Clinic
Gold accreditation for VSS
Veterinary Specialists Scotland has achieved Gold accreditation as a Cat Friendly Clinic (CFC). The CFC programme has been developed by the International Society of Feline Medicine, the veterinary division of the leading feline charity International Cat Care.
The CFC programme aims to promote well-being and high standards of care for all cats visiting or being hospitalised in a veterinary clinic. A clinic has to prove rigorous adherence to a set of criteria which includes provision of facilities and demonstration of staff activities and attitudes aimed at reducing stress in cats, both as in-patients and out-patients. The criteria includes having separate dog and cat waiting areas, feline-friendly hospitalisation cages, and veterinary equipment specifically for treating cats. Most importantly, staff are encouraged to approach and handle cats sensitively and respectfully.
What Services Do We Offer?
At VSS, we recognise that cats have their own unique requirements. These special considerations have been taken into account throughout the design of the hospital, and also when investigating and managing their illnesses. We have:
- RCVS recognised feline specialist Nicki Reed leading the team, supported by feline friendly nursing staff
- Feline ambassador Nicola Mallon, dedicated to training new staff how to nurse cats with appreciation of their specific needs
- ISFM Gold standard accreditation
- Separate waiting room for cats: our cat lounge ensures anxiety is reduced
- Separate consulting room for cats: no smell of dogs to cause fear
- Two owners can come into the consultation
- Separate cat ward: ensures peaceful environment
- State of the art safety glass kennels, warmer and quieter than steel kennels, partitioned for privacy. Hiding and perching facilities are provided
- Cat appropriate equipment: small scales, quiet clippers, small volume blood tubes, blood pressure monitoring, continuous blood glucose monitoring